Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Forming Teams and Some Self Advertising

After Show & Tell, I got the feeling that several of my course mates have already developed strong impressions of people they would want to team up with. Naturally, it makes sense that the strong programmers would be interested in engaging with one another, if not for team forming, at least for the communication of ideas of a shared interest. They would group together (I think).

I was stuck with a problem. How should I get or form my team? One idea that came about was that since I didn't think I was particular marketable in terms of programming skills, I should take the initiative to be a leader and go around seeking to form my own teams for both assignments. The second, but much less preferred ideal case, is to (be a beggar) and ask to join a team. All along in my head, I was worried that I might be left in a team that would not be "strong".

Then I figured out that my worry was unnecessary. The "weaker" the team in terms of technical skills and know-how is probably not a bad thing at all. Knowing less at the start means that we learn more at the end. If I were to put myself in a team with strong programmers, I might not be compelled enough to learn when the process can be done more efficiently with others on the job. Instead, if I were to be in a team of group mates whereby we're all of similar standards, we'll be able to problem solve together and end up learning more overall. My conclusion then is that I shall not be focused on looking to form a "strong" team but rather, to form a team with people who I think I can work well together with.

So here, I'm going to do some self-advertising:
  • I have an acceptable level of programming skill since I was accepted into this course having taken CS1101C and CS1102C (or maybe Prof Ben just really wanted to see a magic trick). 
  • I am strong in analytical and logic thinking skills. 
  • I am good at facilitating discussions and brainstorming sessions having had several experiences as being  a facilitator to students in community related projects/programmes. 
  • I am good with writing of essays or reports; I may spend a long time working on a writing at times but I always make sure that the writing will be clear and concise (I hate unnecessarily long writings. Short and sweet is key for me).
  • I can present well and speak clearly (at least I like to think so).
Some other more important and perhaps miscellaneous points:
  • I like to have fun.
  • I'm positive-minded and cheerful.
  • If I don't appear to be a cheerful person, it's because I may be feeling bored, I'm tired or I'm in a lecture.
  • If you are in need of finding a girlfriend, I can teach you a magic trick as an ice-breaker.
    (Actually not. I think using magic to meet girls is gimmicky and gives magic a bad reputation; in addition, I don't think girls buy it anyway.)
  • But I can perform magic to keep you entertained (advanced booking required!)
  • I'm from Electrical Engineering but many people tell me I seem like I'm from Arts.
  • Because my name is Jonathan and surname is Low, I got nicknamed J.Lo since secondary school. This unfortunately is still going on. I get the feeling that I am self-perpetuating this. It is okay to call me J Lo. Avoids confusion with Jonathan Lew. BUT I'm not going to wear any naked-like skintight clothing.
So that's the long and short of it. If you're interested in forming teams, send me an email either at:

my NUS email: jonathan.low@nus.edu.sg 
or my gmail: jlowhy@gmail.com 
or you can add me on MSN but please say who you are: bardal_@hotmail.com


If you've currently no idea who to form up with, send me an email too.

In the meantime, I will be asking around to form teams. In the unlikely event that I receive too many emails (I will be surprised to receive some actually, please prove me wrong!), I will gladly help to adjust people around and help one another to form teams that are workable. Kind of like a free match-making service here.

Also, if anyone wants to form team for the Google Wave app already. I'm game for it too.

Latest Updates:
Both teams have been formed! Thanks to everyone who has responded to me! =)

2 comments:

  1. yes! :D I finally found people who think the same. I dont mind who I work with as long as they're also people who don't mind who they work with :P I mean obviously I'd love to work with everyone but I can't sooo :P Still got space for me in the app group?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi jonathan :D must say that these miscellaneous points sound a lot like me also :D

    ReplyDelete